Transcription by: Althea Barker 2007
As always check originals for confirmation
GERMOE is a township, parish and village, 6 miles north-west from Helston, and 4 east from Marazion road station on the West Cornwall (Great Western) railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, Helston Union and county court district, Kerrier rural deanery, Cornwall Archdeaconry, and Truro diocese, situated on the high road from Helston to Penzance. The church of St. Germoe is an old stone building, in the Perpendicular style, with portions of Transition, Norman and Early English date, and consists of chancel, nave of five bays, transepts, south porch and an embattled tower with crocketed pinnacles, containing 3 bells, all dated 1753; the font, of native elvan, is curious from its misshapen form and rude sculptures; the bowl of another and much superior font also remains; there are no inscriptions in the church; in the north-east corner of the churchyard is a stone seat, called the chair of St Germoe, or throne of King Germocus; the structure measures, internally about 6 by 3 feet, and the front consists of two pointed arches, each 6 feet in height, on three circular columns; at the back is a seat divided into three compartments, the centre one enclosing the carved head of a figure in granite, surmounted by a Saxon crown; beneath is supposed to be a burial vault; the church plate bears the date 1732 and was presented by Francis, second Earl of Godolphin, who then occupied Godolphin Manor in the parish adjoining, and died in 1766; there are 260 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1682. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with that of Breage, vicarial tithe rent-charge (Germoe) £105, joint gross yearly value £910 with residence, in the gift of the Crown and held by the Rev. Edward Morris PRIDMORE M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge, who resides at Breage vicarage; the Rev. Benjamin Dexter is the curate in charge. There is a chapel for Wesleyans at Balwest and another on Keneggie common. Foote's charity provides £2 10s for the school and £2 10s for the poor; £3 from an unknown donor is for poor widows. The Great Work Consols mines are in this parish. Tresowes & Boscreege are villages in this parish. The Duke of LEEDS, the Rev. St Aubyn Hender MOLESWOTH ST-AUBYN M.A. and William BULLER Esq., are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is granite. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and brocoli. The acreage is 1,287 acres; rateable value, £1,713; and the population in 1871 was 953 and 588 in 1881. Letters through Marazion R.S.O. (the nearest money order & telegraph office) arrive at 11.30 am; dispatched at 1.15 pm.
A Sunday School was erected in 1878, at a cost of £200 for 100 scholars.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1871; J B NICHOLAS, Breage, clerk to the board.
Board School (Mixed), erected in 1877 for 180 children; average attendance, 90; Joseph CHANCE, master; Miss Louisa M CARTER, mistress.
DEXTER Rev Benjamin, Parsonage
EUSTICE Paul, Carpenter
EUSTICE William, Shopkeeper
Great Work Tin & Copper Mines (Great Work Mining Co) (William TEAGUE, manager; J WILLIAMS, chief agent)
HOSKIN William, Smith & Farrier
JACKA James, Farmer
KESKEYS James, Farmer
LAITY William, Farmer
LEMON James Plomer, Farmer
MITCHELL James, Dolphin Inn
New Great Works Copper & Tin Mines (Thomas Arnall, Manager & Purser)
NICHOLLS William, Shopkeeper & Farmer
PAUL Philip, Bus Proprietor
PAUL Martha (Mrs), Shopkeeper, & Post Office
PROUT George, Farmer
RICHARDS John, Farmer
RICHARDS Thomas, Shoe Maker
ROWE Philip, Farmer
THOMAS William, Boot & Shoemaker & Shopkeeper
TRESOWES China Clay Co. Lim (William ARGALL, Purser; Jonathan STEPHENS, Manager)
Wheal Grey Clay & Brick Works (Wm ARGALL, Manager & Purser; James HOOPER, Agent)
WILLIAMS James, Farmer
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids