Transcription by: Althea Barker 2007
As always check originals for confirmation
GERMOE is a township, parish and village on the high road from Helston to Penzance, 5 miles east from Marazion road station on the West Cornwall (Great Western) railway and 6 north-west from Helston, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier West, Helston Union and county court district, rural deanery of Kirrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Germoe is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, with portions of Transition, Norman and Early English date, and consists of chancel, nave of five bays, north aisle and two side chantries, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles, containing 3 bells, all dated 1753; the font, of native elvan, is curious from its misshapen form and rude sculptures; the bowl of another font also remains; there are no inscriptions in the church; the church plate bears the date 1732 and was presented by Francis, second Earl of Godolphin, who then occupied Godolphin Manor in the adjoining parish, and died in 1766; there are 150 sittings; in the north-east corner of the churchyard is a stone seat, called the chair of St Germoe, or throne of King Germocus; and said to have been erected by the Millyton family of Pengersick; the structure measures, internally, about 6 feet by 3 feet, and the front consists of two pointed arches, each 6 feet in height, on three circular columns; at the back is a seat divided into three compartments, the centre one enclosing the carved head of a figure in granite, surmounted by a Saxon crown; the church was thoroughly restored and reseated with open benches in 1891-2 at a cost of £2000. The register dates from the year 1682. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Breage (Germoe), net yearly value £55, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Jocelyn BARNES M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford, who resides at Breage. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Balwest. Foote's charity provides £2 2s for the school and £2 2s for the poor; there is also a sum of £3 for widows, given by a former Duke of Leeds. At Great Work mine in this parish, gunpowder was used for blasting purposes. Tresowas, half a mile east and Boscreage, 1 north-east, are villages in this parish. The Duke of LEEDS, the Rev. St Aubyn Hender MOLESWOTH –ST.AUBYN M.A. of Clowance, Crowan, and William BULLER esq., are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is granite. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and broccoli. The acreage is 1,287 acres; rateable value, £1,871; and the population in 1891 was 497.
Sexton, Edward COLLICK.
POST OFFICE- Miss Martha PAULL sub-postmistress. Letters through Marazion R.S.O. arrive at 11 am; dispatched at 2 pm. Goldsithney is the nearest money order office & Porthleven the nearest telegraph office. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.
A School Board of 5 members was formed August 23, 1871; William T HOSKEN, Newtown, clerk to the board; Thos Francis JOHNS. Church Town, attendance officer.
Board School (Mixed), erected in 1877, for 180 children; average attendance, 85; Archer BLYTON, master; Miss Naomi BOWDEN, mistress.
READ Rev. John Henry (Curate)
BALL Peter, Farmer
COX Edith (Mrs) Dolphin Inn
CURNOW Stephen, Farmer, Rejarden
EUSTICE Paul, Carpenter
Great Work Tin & Copper Mines (Great Work Mining Co Limited) (Joseph PRISK, manager & purser)
HOSKEN William Thomas Hardy, Smith & Shopkeeper
JACKA James, Farmer, Ninnis
JAMES John, Shopkeeper, Great Work
KESKEYS Robert, Farmer
KITCHEN Thomas, Farmer, Trennal
PAULL John, Bus Proprietor
PAULL Martha (Miss), Shopkpr, Post Off
PIPER James, Shopkeeper, Keneggie
PROUT George, Farmer, Chycarne
RICHARDS Henry, Shopkeeper
RICHARDS John, Farmer, Tresowas
ROWE Philip, Farmer, Tresowas
THOMAS Wm, Bootmaker & Shopkeepr
WATERS Margaret Jane (Mrs), Farmer
Wheal Grey China Clay Co (John MARTIN, Manager & Purser)
WILLIAMS James, Farmer, Trethewey