Transcription by: Althea Barker 2007
As always check originals for confirmation
GERMOE is a township, parish and village on the high road from Helston to Penzance, 5 miles east from Marazion road station on the West Cornwall (Great Western) railway and 6 north-west from Helston, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier West, Helston Union and county court district, rural deanery of Kerrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Germoe is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, with portions of Transition, Norman and Early English date, and consists of chancel, nave of five bays, north aisle and two side chantries, south porch and an embattled tower with crocketed pinnacles, containing 3 bells, all dated 1753; the font, of native elvan, is curious from its misshapen form and rude sculptures; the bowl of another font also remains; there are no inscriptions in the church; the church plate bears the date 1732 and was presented by Francis, second Earl of Godolphin, who then occupied Godolphin Manor in the adjoining parish, and died in 1766; there are 150 sittings; in the north-east corner of the churchyard is a stone seat, called the chair of St Germoe, or throne of King Germocus; and said to have been erected by the Millyton family of Pengersick; the structure measures, internally, about 6 feet by 3 feet, and the front consists of two pointed arches, each 6 feet in height, on three circular columns; at the back is a seat divided into three compartments, the centre one enclosing the carved head of a figure in granite, surmounted by a Saxon crown; the church was thoroughly restored and reseated with open benches in 1891-2 at a cost of £2000. The register dates from the year 1682. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Breage, joint net yearly value £250, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1904 by the Rev. Harry John PETTY, who resides at Breage. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Balwest. Foote's charity provides £2 2s for the school and £2 2s for the poor; there is also a sum of £3 for widows, given by a former Duke of Leeds. At Great Work mine in this parish, gunpowder was used for blasting purposes. Tresowas, half a mile east and Boscreage, 1 north-east, are villages in this parish. The Duke of LEEDS and Gen. The Right Hon. Sir Redvers BULLER P.C., G.C.B., G.C.M.G., V.C. of Downes, Crediton, Devon, are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is granite. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and broccoli. The acreage is 1,331 acres; rateable value, £1,793; and the population in 1901 was 347.
Sexton, Edward COLLICK.
POST OFFICE- Miss Elizabeth PERRY, sub-postmistress. Letters through Marazion S.O. arrive at 9.40 am; dispatched at 3.30 pm. No Delivery on Sundays. Goldsithney is the nearest money order office & Breage the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
School Attendance Officer, Thomas BOWDEN, Wheal Vor, Breage
Public Elementary School (Mixed), erected in 1877, for 180 children; average attendance, 105; Edward J OATS, master; Miss Susie JENKIN, mistress.
BLIGHT William, Farmer, Trethewey
COCK Edward, Dolphin Inn
CURNOW Stephen, Farmer, Rejarden
EUSTICE Paul, Carpenter
HAMMILL James, Farmer
HOSKEN Wm Thos Hardy, Shopkeeper
JACKA James, Farmer, Ninnis
KESKEYS Robert, Farmer
KITCHEN Thomas, Farmer, Trennal
LAWRY Thomas, Farmer, Gweelbooth
PERRY Elizh (Miss), Shopkpr, Post Office
PIPER Benjamin Dunn, Shopkeeper, Keneggie
POLGLASE Samuel, Farmer
PROUT George, Farmer, Chycarne
RICHARDS John, Farmer, Tresowas
RICHARDS Richard Henry, Blacksmith
ROWE Philip, Farmer, Tresowas
Wheal Grey China Clay Co (John MARTIN, Manager & Purser)