(Part 3 Cornwall & Advertisements)
Transcription by: Althea Barker 2007
As always check originals for confirmation
GERMOE is a township, parish and village on the high road from Helston to Penzance, 5 miles east from Marazion road station on the West Cornwall (Great Western) railway and 6 north-west from Helston, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier West, Helston Union and county court district, rural deanery of Kerrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Germoe is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, with portions of Transition, Norman and Early English date, and consists of chancel, nave of five bays, north aisle and two side chantries, south porch and an embattled tower with crocketed pinnacles, containing 3 bells, all dated 1753; the font, of native elvan, is curious from its misshapen form and rude sculptures; the fragments of a bowl of another font also remain; there is an inscription in the church to the memory of the GILBERT family; the church plate bears the date 1732 and was presented by Francis, second Earl of Godolphin, who then occupied Godolphin Manor in the adjoining parish, and died in 1766; in the north-east corner of the churchyard is a stone seat, called the chair of St Germoe, or throne of King Germocus; and said to have been erected† by the Millyton family of Pengersick; the structure measures, internally, about 6 feet by 3 feet, and the front consists of two pointed arches, each 6 feet in height, on three circular columns; at the back is a seat divided into three compartments, the centre one enclosing the carved head of a figure in granite of the Virgin, wearing a Saxon crown; over the south porch there is an old carving of a crucifix; the east window is to Richard TYACKE and his wife Sibella; the pulpit was given by the Rev. James Frederick LEMON M.A. in 1906, in memory of James Plomer LEMON, for many years churchwarden, and of Henrietta LEMON, his wife; the church was thoroughly restored† and reseated with open benches in 1891-2 at a cost of £2000; there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1679.† The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Breage, joint net yearly value £465, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1907 by the Rev. Hugh Robert COULTHARD M.A. of Christís College Cambridge, and rural dean of Kerrier, who resides at Breage. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Balwest. Foote's charity provides £2 2s for the school and £2 2s for the poor; there is also a sum of £3 for widows, given by a former Duke of Leeds. The Duke of LEEDS and Arthur Tremayne BULLER esq of Downes, Crediton, are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is granite. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and broccoli. The acreage is 1,331 acres; rateable value, £1,857; and the population in 1911 was 392.
Tresowas, half a mile east and Boscreage, 1 north-east, are villages in this parish.
Sexton, William COCK.
POST OFFICE- Robert KESKEYS, sub-postmaster. Letters through Marazion, Cornwall. arrive at 9.15 am; dispatched at 3.20 pm, no delivery on Sundays. Goldsithney is the nearest money order office & Breage the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
School Attendance Officer, Thomas BOWDEN, Wheal Vor, Breage
Public Elementary School (Mixed), erected in 1877, for 180 children; average attendance, 100; Percy P E WILLIAMS, master; Miss L COULS, mistress.
Carrier. Thomas Richard TREGEARE, omnibus to Penzance 9.30 am thurs; to Helston 12 noon sat.
(Marked thus * receive their letters through Helston)
LUXTON Rev. Hy Jas L.Div. (Curate of St Germoe), The Parsonage
BLIGHT William, Farmer, Trethewey
COCK Edward, Dolphin Inn
CURNOW Stephen, Farmer, Rejarden
HAMMILL James, Farmer
HOSKEN Wm Thomas Hardy, Assistant overseer & Shopkeeper, Newtown
JACKA James, Farmer, Ninnis
JOHNS Wm Fras, Wheelwright, Newtwn
KESKEYS Robert, Farmer & Shopkeeper, Post Office
KITCHEN Thomas, Farmer, Trennal
Lady Gwen Tin Mines Limited
LAWRY Thomas, Farmer, Gwealbooth
*LOVERING J & Co Wheal Grey China Clay Works
*MASON John Thomas, Builder, Tresowas Hill, Ashton
*MOLLARD Grace (Mrs), Frmr, Boscreege
NICHOLLS William, Farmer, Wreath
PIPER Benj Dunn, Shopkpr, Keneggie
*POLGLASE Samuel, Farmer, Boscreege
*PROUT George, Farmer, Chycarne
*PRYOR John, Poultry frmr, Boscreege
*PRYOR Martha (Mrs), Shopkeeper, Balwest
RICHARDS Rd Hy, Blacksmith, Newtwn
*ROWE Leslie, Farmer, Tresowas
*TREGEAR Thos Rd, Farmr, Chygwins
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids