Transcription by: Althea Barker 2007
As always check originals for confirmation
GERMOE is a township, parish and village, 6 miles north-west from Helston, and 4 from Marazion, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, Helston Union and county court district, rural deanery of Kerrier, Cornwall Archdeaconry, and Exeter diocese, situated on the high road from Helston to Penzance.† The church of St. Germoe is an old building, in the Perpendicular style, with portions of earlier date, has a square embattled tower containing 3 bells, a porch (over which is a crucifix) a nave, aisles, chancel, and transepts; the pews are most irregular, each owner having adopted his own plan; there are several mural monuments. In the churchyard is a stone seat, called the arm-chair of St Germoe, or King Germocus, the carved head of the figure, in granite being surmounted by a Saxon crown; beneath is supposed to be a burial vault.
The register dates from the year 1682, the living is a vicarage, consolidated with Breage, joint yearly value £760, with residence, in the gift of the crown, and held by the Rev. E. Morris PRIDMORE, M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge, who resides at Breage vicarage.
The national school for boys and girls is endowed with £10 from the Duke of LEEDS; a Sunday school is held at the church. There is a chapel for Wesleyans. Foote's charity provided £2 10s for the school and £2 10s for the poor; £3 from an unknown donor is for poor widows. The Leeds and St. Aubyn Consols, and Great Work Consols mines are in this parish. The Duke of LEEDS, Rev St Aubyn H MOLESWOTH ST-AUBYN, and William BULLER esq., are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is granite. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oat, turnips and broccoli.† The acreage is 1,287 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,915; rateable value, £1, 623; and the population in 1871 was 953.
Parish Clerk, William TRESIDDER.
Letters through Helston, arrive at 12 a.m. dispatched at 1 p.m. Helston is the nearest money order office.
National School, William TRESIDDER, master.
CARTER John, Farmer
EUSTICE William, Shopkeeper
HEBBARD Ann (Mrs) St Aubynís Arms
HEBBARD James, Farmer
HEBBARD James, Shopkeeper
HOSKIN William, Smith & Farrier
KESKEYS James, Carpenter & Farmer
LAITY William, Farmer
LEMON James Plomer, Farmer
NICHOLLS Richard, Shopkeeper & Farmer
NICHOLLS William, Dolphin Inn
PAUL Philip, Carpenter
PAUL Martha (Mrs), Shopkeeper
ROWE Philip, Farmer
TRESIDDER William, Schoolmaster
THOMAS William, Boot & Shoemaker